"Anthem" by Leonard Cohen

"The birds they sang at the break of day
Start again, I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away
or what has yet to be...

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in"

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Newborn (1980)

My daughter, one day old
Newborn (1980) Originally uploaded by musicmuse_ca

My daughter was born 28 years ago today. It was a difficult and dark time in my life. 

I was in a violent relationship that I couldn't escape from. When I did try to leave, my family turned their back on me. I had no resources and no where to go. I made a promise to my daughter when she was born that whatever it takes, I would protect her from the misery I grew up in. I kept that promise to the best of my ability. 

Now she is a beautiful young woman who is following her dreams. This shot was taken of her in my arms after 2 days in labor. Believe me it was worth it. She was my shining star then and now. I am so proud of her. Happy birthday baby!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh you are making me blush! Thanks for everything Mom, I really appreciate it!

Unknown said...

Aw. That is one cute baby. ;-)

You are an inspiration, as always, Beth. What a beautiful spirit you have.

Beth Kotkin said...

Hey Cj, you look great when you blush! ;)

Beth Kotkin said...

Hi leslie! Thanks so much for stopping by and your comments. I really appreciate it!

Search This Blog